"We need fathers to realize that responsibility does not end at conception." - President Obama
It's no "Ask not what you can do for your country...", but that's a pretty awesome Presidential quote. Today I had the responsibility of watching Deven all day. By myself. No grandparents, no google; just me and him.
I am a little embarassed that it's taken over 5 months for me to do that. I'm sure I have had other opportunities but did not seize them. I think that sends several messages that I never would have intentionally sent.
1. It tells Cami and I am either A. incapable or B. unwilling.
2. I think kids can pick up on that, when Dad is gone all day and all they see is Mom.
The truth is that Deven needs me every bit as much as he needs Cami no matter what his age is. And it's important that I climb into Cami's shoes to better understand how my family operates.
Part of me feels like I climbed a mountain today. Another part realizes how much further I have to go. May God melt away the selfishness from every father's heart and teach us to love our kids like he loves us.
8 years ago
I'm sure it was a fun day, I'm jealous! You didn't have to share him with anyone! I'm sure you did an awesome job!
ReplyDelete